Thursday, September 24, 2009

You're all invited!

Barely a week after I ran over his finger, Ed Young is opening a gallery. He's doing this with M. Blackman because of the witty name theirs' make when conjoined (or Siamese in the old parlance): YOUNGBLACKMAN. Brilliant!

I see they aren't in it for the money and perhaps this is why their website doesn't work. I see also that they have a naughty number in their address and this might be the problem.

Now, I think Ed must be rewarded for the effort he's making: after all, the crawl from the Kimberley Hotel across Roeland Street is surely more fraught with danger than the shift from art-producer to -facilitator. You have to watch out for me, for example, on my way to yoga. Or hordes of people descending on the book lounge for the launch of the new Dan Brown novel.

They're opening with Sue Williamson's Better Lives series which comprises six video portraits, migrants, exiles and refugees. That's on Tuesday at 6.

I'm not too clued up on the exact address of YOUNGBLACKMAN and whether they've taken over the laundromat or the bottle shop, but you can rest assured that there will be plenty of dirty laundry and drinking there either way.

But anyway, the real reason I'm here is to invite you all to my exhibition opening, which is on Thursday and will be a much more somber affair with crisp, clean shirts and gownless evening straps, and after which there will be no party at the Kimberley.

So, pencil me in: Thursday, October 1. I present 'Subtropicalia' alongside Meshac Gaba's 'The Street', and Lynette Yiadom-Boakye shows 'Pleased to Meet You' in the FOREX section while Musa Nxumalo exhibits 'Alternative Kidz' in the side gallery.



No comments:

Post a Comment